25 toxic items to pets that are found around the house, are you aware of these toxic dangers?
By Claude West (Cat Man)
Many pet owners are unaware that several food groups are quite toxic to both cats and dogs including indoor plants, medications, and household items. Have you ever dropped a pill on the floor and could not find it? This is a common event and as sure as Murphy’s Law is golden, your cat or dog will find that pill. My cats know when anything is out of order in the house or outside.
Did you ever see your cat on the kitchen counter checking out every item there? I cannot count the times my wife has left an open chocolate bar on the counter and most people do not understand that chocolate is quite toxic.
25 toxic items to pets. Here is a list of common home items that you must be aware of the toxic dangers they present to your cat or dog.
• Chocolate can cause seizures and death in dogs and cats.
• Onions, garlic, leeks and chives can be toxic in dogs and cats.
• Grapes, raisins, and currants – even grape juice – in small amounts can cause kidney failure in dogs.
• Queensland nuts known as macadamia nuts can cause lethargy, vomiting and difficulty walking in dogs.
• Unbaked bread dough can expand in the stomach.
• Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener commonly found in chewing gum, breath mints and toothpaste.
• Tobacco can be toxic to both dogs and cats.
• Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen can cause liver damage in dogs. Cats are even more sensitive and can cause anemia and even be fatal.
• Nonprescription medications can be toxic to liver and the kidneys.
• Prescription medications are dangerous to pets and dosages are too high for animals.
• Veterinary prescriptions, such as arthritis medications, are often meat-flavored, which can be enticing to dogs.
The list continues 25 toxic items!
• Jimson weed, also known as devil’s trumpet, can cause restlessness, drunken walking and respiratory failure in dogs and cats.
• Lilies – Easter, day, tiger, Japanese and Asiatic varieties – can cause kidney failure in cats.
• Sago palms are one of a number of toxic plants for dogs and cats. Ingestion can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and seizures, as well as liver failure in dogs.
• Detergents and fabric softener sheets can cause ulcers in the mouth, esophagus and stomach in dogs and cats.
• Household cleaners, such as bleach, drain cleaners, ammonia and toilet bowl cleaners, can cause gastrointestinal ulcers.
• Ethylene glycol a compound found in antifreeze, windshield de-icing agents, and motor oils. Dogs and cats like its sweet taste, but as little as a teaspoon in cats or a tablespoon in dogs cause kidney failure.
Remember dangers can be just outside in the yard.
• Fertilizers can contain poisonous amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc, herbicides and pesticides.
• Yard products, including snail and slug bait, herbicides and fertilizers, are never good for pets. Signs will vary by the ingredient.
• Insecticides in flea and tick products can cause problems if not used according to labels.
• Mothballs, especially if they contain naphthalene, can be toxic to dogs and cats, resulting in vomiting and diarrhea, increased drinking and urination, and seizures.
• Rodenticides, such as mouse and rat poisons, can contain a number of different toxins, which have different effects on dogs and cats.
• Kerosene, gasoline and Tiki torch fluids can cause drooling, drunken walking and difficulty breathing in dogs and cats.
• Zinc toxicity can happen when dogs and cats eat metal or coins. Ingestion of even a single zinc penny can be fatal. Zinc can cause anemia, as well as liver, kidney or heart failure.
• Batteries can be toxic to both dogs and cats, leading to ulcers in the mouth, esophagus and stomach.
Cats awareness is amazing and can be dangerous as well.
I have always been amazed how quickly cats will learn the order of where things are and if I move just one item, they react to the change as soon as they enter the room. You bet kitty will find that lost pill!
I had an unpleasant experience one morning finding Journey eating one of my prescription pills. She had already bit into the gelatin cap and was licking the content that fortunately was prescription fish oil I take for cholesterol maintenance.
Please do a quick inventory in your home and see if your pet would have access to any of the 25 toxic items to pets.
If your pet is showing severe symptoms or losing conscious please take them to the nearest animal emergency center or veterinarian. Here is the 24-hour 7 day hotline to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435.
Reprint requirements: Article reprinted in its entirety without alterations. Author and source required with the article.